The Moretons is situated on the outskirts of the village of Bredon, overlooked by Bredon Hill. The houses are set in 5 acres of gardens, surrounded by 35 acres of open farmland. There are three pubs within easy walking distance—The Fox and Hounds and the Royal Oak in Bredon, and The Crown in Kemerton. Bredon village has a post office and shop selling general provisions. There is also Bredon Pottery and Tangles hair salon; the village hall hosts a monthly farmers' market and regular craft and produce market. A couple of farm shops are a short distance from the village. The nearest town is Tewkesbury, where there are supermarkets and many small shops, cafés and restaurants. Opportunities for tennis, golf, horse riding, cycling, windsurfing and walking are all within easy reach. Stratford-upon-Avon, Cheltenham Spa and The Malvern Hills are just a short drive away. Farther afield, visit Bath Spa, Bristol, Oxford or Birmingham.
Places of interest within easy reach
- Bredon Threshing barn, local shops, pottery, monthly craft & produce and farmers’ markets, Bredon Hill, river Avon, bowling green, tennis courts, cricket ground, clay pigeon shooting, children’s play area and playing field.
- Tewkesbury (4 miles/6.5 km) Site of the last major battle of the Wars of the Roses (4th May 1471). Roses Theatre/cinema, River Avon and twice-weekly market.
- Cheltenham Spa (10 miles/16 km) Regency town with many visitor attractions, including Pittville Pump room, theatres, art gallery, museum, skate park, lido, cinemas, monthly farmers’ market and good shopping.
- GWR Heritage railway with stops at Cheltenham racecourse, Toddington and Winchcombe.
- Gloucester (14 miles/22.5 km) Cathedral, Waterways museum, historic docks and shopping.
- Worcester (14 miles/22.5 km) Headquarters of Charles II during the battle of Worcester (1651). Cathedral, Royal Worcester China, shopping, River Avon and Commandery museum.
- Cotswold Farm Park (15 miles/24 km). Farm park with rare breeds, adventure playground and touch barn.
- Eastnor Castle (16 miles/26 km). Castle dating from 1810 with lake, deer park & arboretum.
- Sudeley Castle gardens (16 miles/26 km) Home to Queen Katherine Parr and headquarters of Prince Rupert (nephew of King Charles I) during the Civil War. 14 acres of gardens with play fort.
- Cotswold Farm Park (16 miles/26 km) 100 acre farm with domestic rare breeds. Audio tour, woodland walk, and adventure playground.
- Chipping Campden (22.4 miles/36 km) Former wool merchants’ town in the north Cotswolds.
- Batsford Arboretum (25 miles/40.2 km) 56 acre arboretum with garden shop, walks, café, gift shop, and electric scooter hire for visitors with mobility difficulties.
- Stratford-upon-Avon (26 miles/42 km) Birthplace of William Shakespeare (23rd April 1564). Royal Shakespeare Theatre, River Avon, children’s adventure playground, shopping and sightseeing bus tours.
- Warwick Castle (34 miles/55 km) Mediaeval castle with regular themed days/events.
- Westonbirt Arboretum (36 miles/58 km) 18 miles of pathways set in 600 acres. Over 18,000 trees. Restaurant, café, and shop. Annual festival of gardens June to September.
- Blenheim Palace (40 miles/64 km) Home of the Duke of Marlborough and birthplace of Sir Winston Churchill.
There are a great many more attractions in the area, please visit our links page for further suggestions. Numerous information leaflets and local town maps are available in our map room at reception.
Regular local events
- Stroud farmers' market—every Saturday, 9am–2pm
- Cheltenham farmers' market—second and last Friday of every month, 9am–3pm on the Promenade
- Gloucester farmers' market—every Friday 9am–3pm
- Stow on the Wold farmers' market—second Thursday of every month, 9am–1pm
- Moreton in Marsh market—every Tuesday
- Tewkesbury market—every Wednesday and Saturday
- Worcester farmers' market—third Sunday of every month, 9am–3pm at Angel Place
- The Roses Tewkesbury 01684 295074
- Number 8 Community Arts Centre, Pershore 01386 555488
- Malvern Theatres Malvern 01684 892277
- Everyman Theatre Cheltenham 01242 572573
- The Playhouse Theatre Cheltenham 01242 522852
- Bacon Theatre Cheltenham 01242 258002
- Cineworld Cheltenham 0871 2002000
- The Regal Evesham 01386 421007/01386 442585
- Evesham Arts Centre Evesham 01386 48883
- Royal Shakespeare Company Stratford-upon-Avon 0844 8001110
- Picture House Stratford-upon-Avon 0871 9025741
We have a large selection of walking route maps in the map room at reception. We are close to the following routes.
- The Cotswold Way (102 miles/164 km)
- The Severn Way (210 miles/338 km)
- Shakespeare's Avon Way (88 miles/ 142 km)
- Millennium Way (100 miles/161 km)
- The Wychavon Way (40 miles/ 64 km)
- The Winchcombe Way (42 miles/68 km)
- The Gloucestershire Way (100 miles/161 km)
- Morrisons + petrol station (3 miles/4.8 km) Ashchurch Road, Tewkesbury GL20 8BN
- Tesco Metro (3.9 miles/6.2 km) 1-6 Bishops Walk, Tewkesbury GL20 5LQ
- Lidl (5.9 miles/9.5 km) Evesham Road, Bishops Cleeve GL52 2SA
- Tesco (6.8 miles/11 km) Church Road, Bishop's Cleeve GL52 8LR
- Morrisons + petrol station (7 miles/11.2) Davies Road, Evesham WR11 1FN
- Sainsbury's + petrol station (8.1 miles/13 km) Tewkesbury Road, Cheltenham GL51 9RR
- Waitrose + petrol station (9 miles/14.4 km) Honeybourne Way, Cheltenham GL50 3QW
- Tesco + petrol station (10.7 miles/17.2 km) Colletts Drive, Cheltenham GL51 8JQ
Tesco, Ocado and Sainsbury's are able deliver your online grocery shopping to The Moretons. Please let us know if your order is likely to arrive before you do and we can ensure that the delivery driver is met at your holiday house.
Local pubs serving good food
- The Fox and Hounds (0.9 miles/1.4 km) Bredon GL20 7LA 01684 772377
- The Yew Tree (1.8 miles/2.9 km) Conderton GL20 7PP 01386 725364
- Teddington Hands Inn (3.7 miles/6 km) Evesham Road, Teddington, Tewkesbury GL20 8NE 01386 725276
- Rising Sun Hotel (9.1 miles/14.6 km) Cleeve Hill, Cheltenham GL52 3PX 01242 676281
- The Plough Inn (13.2 miles/21.2 km) Ford, Temple Guiting, Cheltenham GL54 5RU 01386 584215