The Moretons is situated on the outskirts of the village of Bredon, overlooked by Bredon Hill. The houses are set in 5 acres of gardens, surrounded by 35 acres of open farmland. There are three pubs within easy walking distance—The Fox and Hounds and the Royal Oak in Bredon, and The Crown in Kemerton. Bredon village has a post office and shop selling general provisions. There is also Bredon Pottery, beauty salon and hairdresser; the village hall hosts a monthly farmers' market and regular craft and produce market. A couple of farm shops are situated just a short distance from the village. The nearest town is Tewkesbury, where there are supermarkets and many small shops, cafés and restaurants. Opportunities for tennis, golf, horse riding, cycling, windsurfing and walking are all within easy reach. Stratford-upon-Avon, Cheltenham Spa and The Malvern Hills are just a short drive away. Farther afield, visit Bath Spa, Bristol, Oxford or Birmingham.
Places of interest within easy reach
- Batsford Arboretum (25 miles/40.2 km) 56 acre arboretum with garden shop, walks, café, gift shop, and electric scooter hire for visitors with mobility difficulties.
- Blenheim Palace (40 miles/64 km) Home of the Duke of Marlborough and birthplace of Sir Winston Churchill.
- Bourton the Water (20.7 miles/33 km) Quintessential Cotswolds village with Cotswold stone cottages, shallow river suitable for paddling, museums, attractions, tea rooms and independent shops.
- Bredon threshing barn, local shops, pottery, monthly craft & produce and farmers’ markets, Bredon Hill, river Avon, bowling green, tennis courts, cricket ground, clay pigeon shooting, children’s play area and playing field.
- Cheltenham Spa (10 miles/16 km) Regency town with many visitor attractions, including Pittville Pump room, theatres, art gallery, museum, skate park, lido, cinemas, monthly farmers’ market and good shopping.
- Chipping Campden (22.4 miles/36 km) Former wool merchants’ town in the north Cotswolds.
- Cotswold Farm Park (16 miles/26 km) 100 acre farm with domestic rare breeds. Audio tour, woodland walk, and adventure playground.
- Eastnor Castle (16 miles/26 km) Castle dating from 1810 with lake, deer park & arboretum.
- Gloucester (14 miles/22.5 km) Cathedral, Waterways museum, historic docks and shopping.
- GWR Heritage railway with stops at Cheltenham racecourse, Toddington and Winchcombe.
- Stratford-upon-Avon (26 miles/42 km) Birthplace of William Shakespeare (23rd April 1564). Royal Shakespeare Theatre, River Avon, children’s adventure playground, shopping and sightseeing bus tours.
- Sudeley Castle gardens (16 miles/26 km) Home to Queen Katherine Parr and headquarters of Prince Rupert (nephew of King Charles I) during the Civil War. 14 acres of gardens with play fort.
- Tewkesbury (4 miles/6.5 km) Site of the last major battle of the Wars of the Roses (4th May 1471). Roses Theatre/cinema, River Avon and twice-weekly market.
- Warwick Castle (34 miles/55 km) Mediaeval castle with regular themed days/events.
- Westonbirt Arboretum (36 miles/58 km) 18 miles of pathways set in 600 acres. Over 18,000 trees. Restaurant, café, and shop. Annual festival of gardens June to September.
- Worcester (14 miles/22.5 km) Headquarters of Charles II during the battle of Worcester (1651). Cathedral, Royal Worcester China, shopping, River Avon and Commandery museum.
There are a great many more attractions in the area, please visit our links page for further suggestions. Numerous information leaflets and local town maps are available in our map room at reception.
Regular local events
- Bredon craft and produce market—last Saturday of every month, 10.30am–noon at Bredon village hall
- Cheltenham farmers' market—second and last Friday of every month, 9am–3pm on the Promenade
- Gloucester farmers' market—every Friday 9am–3pm
- Moreton in Marsh market—every Tuesday
- Stow on the Wold farmers' market—second Thursday of every month, 9am–1pm
- Stroud farmers' market—every Saturday, 9am–2pm
- Tewkesbury farmers' market—second Saturday of the month (February–December), 9am–1pm at Abbey Lawns car park
- Tewkesbury market—every Wednesday and Saturday
- Worcester farmers' market—third Sunday of every month, 9am–3pm at Angel Place
- Bacon Theatre Cheltenham 01242 258002
- Cineworld Cheltenham 0871 2002000
- Everyman Theatre Cheltenham 01242 572573
- Evesham Arts Centre Evesham 01386 48883
- Malvern Theatres Malvern 01684 892277
- Number 8 Community Arts Centre, Pershore 01386 555488
- Picture House Stratford-upon-Avon 0871 9025741
- Royal Shakespeare Company Stratford-upon-Avon 0844 8001110
- The Playhouse Theatre Cheltenham 01242 522852
- The Regal Evesham 01386 421007
- The Roses Tewkesbury 01684 295074
We have a large selection of walking route maps in the map room at reception. We are close to the following routes.
- Millennium Way (100 miles/161 km)
- Shakespeare's Avon Way (88 miles/ 142 km)
- The Cotswold Way (102 miles/164 km)
- The Gloucestershire Way (100 miles/161 km)
- The Severn Way (210 miles/338 km)
- The Winchcombe Way (42 miles/68 km)
- The Wychavon Way (40 miles/ 64 km)
- Lidl (5.9 miles/9.5 km) Evesham Road, Bishops Cleeve GL52 2SA
- Morrisons + petrol station (3 miles/4.8 km) Ashchurch Road, Tewkesbury GL20 8BN
- Morrisons + petrol station (7 miles/11.2) Davies Road, Evesham WR11 1FN
- Sainsbury's + petrol station (8.1 miles/13 km) Tewkesbury Road, Cheltenham GL51 9RR
- Tesco (6.8 miles/11 km) Church Road, Bishop's Cleeve GL52 8LR
- Tesco + petrol station (10.7 miles/17.2 km) Colletts Drive, Cheltenham GL51 8JQ
- Tesco Metro (3.9 miles/6.2 km) 1-6 Bishops Walk, Tewkesbury GL20 5LQ
- Waitrose + petrol station (9 miles/14.4 km) Honeybourne Way, Cheltenham GL50 3QW
Tesco, Ocado and Sainsbury's are able deliver your online grocery shopping to The Moretons. Please let us know if your order is likely to arrive before you do and we can ensure that the delivery driver is met at your holiday house.
Local pubs serving good food
- Rising Sun Hotel (9.1 miles/14.6 km) Cleeve Hill, Cheltenham GL52 3PX 01242 676281
- Teddington Hands Inn (3.7 miles/6 km) Evesham Road, Teddington, Tewkesbury GL20 8NE 01386 725276
- The Bell (3.5 miles/5.6 km) Eckington, Church Street, Eckington, Nr Pershore WR10 3AN
- The Fleet (7.2 miles/ 11.6 km) Twyning, Fleet Lane, Twyning, Nr Tewkesbury GL20 6FL
- The Fox and Hounds (0.9 miles/156 km) Bredon GL20 7LA 01684 772377
- The Plough Inn (13.2 miles/21.2 km) Ford, Temple Guiting, Cheltenham GL54 5RU 01386 584215
- The Yew Tree (1.8 miles/2.9 km) Conderton GL20 7PP 01386 725364